Friday, May 8, 2015

Thanks, Tink.

A fairy's work is much more than at first it might appear!
Suppose your broken clock ticks, though it hasn't in a year!
Perchance you found a toy you lost or jingling bells you hear!
It all means that one very special fairy might be near!
 
I heard this from the kitchen today, as Millie finished watching Tinkerbell as I accomplished a few household tasks this morning.
 
It made me smile.
 
See, while we were at Disney World a few months back, we made the terrible decision to bring along Millie's most prized possession, a teeny tiny itty bitty purple plastic play phone, designed as a doll accessory. Millie found this phone before Christmas and latched onto it, as she does with all small toys. But unlike the others, that she grows tired of after a day or two, this little phone was always clasped in her little fist.
 
For some reason, I thought we should bring it to Florida.
 
And, really, in retrospect, we did well. For nine days, I knew exactly where that darned little thing was at all times.
 
But then, on the day we left, between juggling kids, packing suitcases, boarding planes, keeping children entertained on the flight, etc., the phone disappeared.
 
Many, many, many tears were shed in the days and weeks that followed.
 
After a while, she stopped asking for it. But she still "talked" about it. Pointing to the kitchen set it accompanied and always signing for "phone." Ray and I knew that some day, some how, we would end up having to buy the whole stinking kitchen set just for the little phone.
 
My brother texted me Wednesday morning, asking me for something of his that I have. Or am supposed to have. I tore the entire house to pieces, emptying every single closet in the house.
 
I never did find it.
 
But, as I began to very slow process of putting things back into their place, I decided it was as good a time as any to redo my closet, switching out not only the winter wear for summer wear, but to move up the "scrubby" clothes and push back the "work" clothes.
 
I broke out the tank tops and the shorts.
 
And as I folded up one of my most favorite pairs of shorts, I felt something in the pocket.
 
 
I couldn't text Ray fast enough.
 
As I went to return the toy to Millie, I played the game that she and I had before played daily, actually several times a day, with that stinking little phone,. I would clutch it tightly in one fist and then hold out both fists, letting her choose a hand. She would pull up one finger as a time as she searched for and unearthed the toy.
 
The second she saw that unmistakable pink-purple hue she squealed.
 
And she hasn't let the thing go since.
 
A fairy's work is much more than at first it might appear!
Suppose your broken clock ticks, though it hasn't in a year!
Perchance you found a toy you lost or jingling bells you hear!
It all means that one very special fairy might be near!
 
Thanks, Tink. We owe you one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So sweet...