Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Life with Lola

Lola is quick. She doesn't even always realize it, I don't think, but she comes up with some of the best one-liners. I thought I'd share a couple here today, before these, too, slip from memory.

***
Scene: We're at the dentist. Millie is in the chair with the dentist doing his thing, chatting away to keep her at ease. Lola is at Millie's feet, watching with interest.

Dentist: "You have beautiful teeth! Just where did you get these beautiful teeth?!"

Lola, plainly: "God."

***
Scene: Home. We're rushing through homework/dinner/reading/bathtime. All of it, somehow, seems to happen simultaneously. Mustang is of course running at our heels, somehow both in our way and a step behind us. Lola, in all the activity, accidentally slams the bathroom door on his face and he yelps, running away and then coming back to hide behind my legs.

Me: "Lola!"

Lola: "What?"

Me: "You just shut the door on Mustang's head!"

Lola: "I did? Oops."

Me: "You should say you're sorry."

Lola, looking down: "Sorry, Mustang."

Me: "Give him a little kiss on his nose so he knows you aren't mad at him."

Lola, looking skeptically at me, then down at Mustang. Then back up to me: "Mom, it's a dog."

***
Scene: Home. I'm working on organizing photos for scrapbooking. Now, anyone who has had to questionable joy of being around me during a photo session knows that if I take 12 photos, it probably was actually 112, perhaps even 212. I take a lot of shots. (Former) occupational hazard, keep shooting 'til you know you've got a keeper.

Lola: "It's a good thing you scrapbook, Mom."

Me, feeling proud, thinking that she likes having the memories, etc., preserved: "Yeah, you like seeing all the pages all done?"

Lola, shrugging indifferently: "Well, yeah, but I think if you didn't scrapbook we'd have just piles and piles of pictures everywhere. Like a hundred feet tall. And hundreds and hundreds of piles. Really, Mom, I think the whole entire house would be just filled with pictures, all the way from the floor to the ceiling. And we wouldn't be able to play or walk or anything. We'd just keep running into more pictures."

***
Scene: We're at home. Watching some random movie that has a boy and girl in it who are worrying about what life will be like after one moves away from the other and I'm trying to explain to Lola that, sometimes, even when you want to stay with your friends that it's still a good thing to go out into the world to find your own adventures, once you get older of course.

Me: "Well, I mean, your dad and I, we'd miss you like crazy, but we want you to go do the things that you want to do, even if it means that you're going somewhere new and kind of scary."

Lola: "Oh. So like I might go live by Grandmas (in the Twin Cities)?"

Me: "Maybe, yeah, but even bigger. Like what if you wanted to go to Paris or California -- somewhere totally different and far away. We'd miss you, of course, but we want you to challenge yourself to find your own life too, even if it is a little scary."

Lola, getting more excited: "Like I could go live in Florida! If I made up the stories and pictures for a Disney movie or something like that!"

Then she pauses.

Lola: "But if I went to Florida, I think you and Daddy would come see me a lot though. I think you'd just probably move in with me. So, maybe not. Paris might be fun though."

***

Scene: A block from my house. I'm riding my bike next to Lola, who is flying on her two wheels and getting comfortable with the idea of on-street cycling.

Me: "You are doing so great! Are you having fun?"

Lola: "This is my favorite part of my whole entire day, Mommy!"

(Yeah, ok, that one was just for me. *smile*)

She really does crack me up though. She is such a doll.


Love you, kiddo.

No comments: