Wednesday, September 7, 2016

firsts -- and lasts


We marked the first day of the 2016-17 school year yesterday.

With Lola, as expected, there were a few tears and anxious moments, but, overall, she did great, battling through her nerves. Millie and I waved at the school bus as it took Lola away, toward her first day of third grade, and Lola looked out the window at us with a big ol' grin and enthusiastic wave goodbye: She was ready.



As for Millie, she and I marked her last first day of preschool. As I've previously explained, we decided to hold off on kindergarten until she is 6 years old, so this is her third year of preschool.

And, just as expected, the drop-off was less than ideal. She cried. But she does that. She just kept telling me that, yes, she was excited to go to school and see her friends, but she just didn't want to go alone.

"Not by self," she'd say. "Mommy too."

Yeah, it doesn't help that she goes to preschool at church and I frequently join her there for Sunday School, as a teacher. She just gets confused.

So I left her, in tears, but in good hands.

And when I returned six hours later, she was beaming and laughing.

Later, I told her I missed her while she was at school.

"Did you miss Mommy too? Or where you having so much you didn't miss me at all?"

She just gave me a strange look, as if I was joking. She told me she didn't miss me at all.

"I fun friends," she said. I had lots of fun with my friends.

So I guess that's as good as it gets.


We didn't actually see Lola again until suppertime, when she finished gymnastics.

She came out smiling and seemed super enthusiastic about her day. Yet, after just a few short snippets describing her activities, she said, "I'm super tired. I've had a long day."

So we spent the evening doing quiet activities and playtime at home.

I'd say it was a pretty successful first day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have two very kind, sweet and warm hearted girls! And, of course, gorgeous. Love their outfits. 😘 Love all of you so much. Bursting with pride!