Tuesday, May 16, 2017

the 'new year'

In many respects, today is the beginning of our "new year" here.

Or at least, this is the day we count down to, not with anticipation but with dread, honestly.

The beginning of the construction season.

This morning, Ray took his suitcase and embarked on the beginning of his projects this summer. Again, they will take him away, for 5-6 days a week. It's what we signed up for, so it's not a surprise of course. We rely on these months to carry us financially through wintertime, so it's needed. It's what we do.

But it's still hard.

So we held onto each other tightly these past few weeks. Long bike rides, good conversations, lots of time spent cooking side-by-side-by-side-by-side. A few later-than-usual bedtimes. A few more stories. A lot more hugs and "I love yous."

I took full advantage of Mother's Day being that one day a year when Ray can't say no to me and I had him drag the mattress from the spare room into the living room. (I was a kid who absolutely loved sleeping on the floor -- I was odd, my older kid is too, don't judge, ha -- so this is one of my favorite things to do.)

And there we spent the day. Just sitting on the mattress, giggling and laughing. Painting fingers and applying some glitter tattoos. Watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding and, later, Marley and Me.

It was the perfect Mother's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so darn funny! Super cute! You and Ray make things work out nicely and that is a huge pat on the back to both of you!